Friday, February 3, 2012

Pillowcase Dresses

When visiting relatives this summer my oldest daughter borrowed the cutest dress from her cousin. It was a purchased pillowcase dress and I fell in love with how it looked on her. When we got home, I immediately went to the fabric store to purchase some fabric to make some myself.

Cakes in her dress. I think it looks better with a regular shirt instead of the turtle neck.

My daughters have very generous spirits so I actually made 6 of these. Two for my girls, 2 for cousins and 2 for friends. I didn't quite get the lengths right. If I had to do it over I would make my oldest's a bit shorter and my youngest's a bit longer. However, the width is generous so as she grows she can wear it as a shirt with a pair of leggings. The pictures aren't very good to show the lengths. Even though it's shorter, it is cute. It reminds me of a Cindy Brady type dress.

Bug in her dress

On the first one I used regular double folded biased tape for the arm holes. When I used the seam ripper because I missed catching some of the biased tape, I accidentally ripped the fabric. For the next dresses I used extra wide bias tape.

It's hard to get a normal picture of these hams.

The last one I made was for my 20 month old niece. Since she's still napping, I made attached ties with the bias tape instead of a casing and using a ribbon to tie it. Then I put in elastic in the casing to gather it.

The bottom layer on each dress has about 3 inches of white cotton. You can't see in the picture, but there are 2 lines of top stich in a contrasting color.

No comments: