Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sewing through the tears

I last posted over a year ago. It was about that time that I began having morning sickness with the pregnancy of my third daughter. Once that finally faded at about 18 weeks, I had a month or so to rush and do as much prep for the baby as I could before the third trimester fatigue.

I wish that the reasons I haven't written since her birth on May 6th were the late night feedings and endless diaper changes, but my reason instead is the exhaustion of grief. Our sweet, almost 7 pound, daughter died shortly before birth due to an unexpected umbilical cord injury. We endured a labor void of monitors and a birth void of cries from a babe. Our sobs were the only noises in the room. I know now why they call it a still birth or silent birth. It is eerily both.

We were able to take pictures of her in the dress made from my wedding gown that my two other daughters wore when they were blessed at three months by there father.


A kind friend made her her own dress from my wedding gown for her burial. She wore a pink cloth diaper to the grave that I had made especially for her, although it and and others were made with the intention of being soiled multiple times and not for a one-time-use.

These past several months have felt heavy with grief, but for the past month or so I have started to feel more energized. I have started several sewing projects and finished a few of them. I'll be posting more and look forward to meeting more sewing types as I do.

Through all this, I have learned many things. One is how precious life is and how important it is to relish in the joy that the people in your life bring.

No comments: